Boat captain accused of para-skiing accident that killed a woman

Written by Jermont Terry

Click here for updates to this story

CHICAGO (WBBM) – A boat captain now stands accused in connection with the death of a woman in Elk Grove Village earlier this year in an air-skating accident in South Florida.

The Sheriff’s Office confirmed to CBS Miami News that Danielle Gavin Koch, 49, has been booked into the Monroe County Jail, Florida for manslaughter and was being held Thursday on $100,000 bail.

As CBS 2’s Jermont Terry reported Thursday night, the story and death of Supraga Alaparthi left many shaking their heads in disbelief. Many wondered why the parachute operator cut the rope.

The image below is from Alaparthi; her son Sriakshith Alaparthi, 10; And her nephew, Vishant Sda, 9, were picked up before they took to the air off Marathon, Florida.

An Elk Grove Village family’s Memorial Day outing ended tragically when a strong wind “tied” the canopy—meaning the wind took over the canopy from the boat below.

A later report stated that this made the situation so dangerous that the captain decided to cut the line connecting the victims. The report said that they were dropped from an unknown height and dragged across the water by the floating parachute until they finally crashed into the Old Seven Mile Bridge.

Alaparthi died on the spot. Her son and nephew were injured.

Now, Couch is charged with manslaughter to get the family out on a windy day and cut that cable that connects his parachute to his boat.

Fisherman Jun Kayun was on the water on the same day when winds reached 30 mph. They watched the parachute get out of control.

Caillon rushed to the bridge to help the three hanging out. But Alabarthy did not make it.

“I like to believe that, you know, he has a lot of pride that he’s carrying — knowing that in the end, I think he saved one child, if not two — so I think that outweighs heartbreak and heartbreak,” said Cayon’s wife, Casey Platt.

The family’s attorney said 11 family members — including Alaparthi’s 6-year-old daughter, were on the boat that afternoon and witnessed Couch cutting the rope.

Prosecutors said the act was reckless, and not only violated commercial air aviation guidelines, but was criminal.

Lawyers hired by the victims’ families also filed a lawsuit in the aftermath of the incident.

Please note: This content is strictly banned from the local market. If you share the same market as the contributor to this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: